AGM and Future of SPACES
The SPACES Annual General Meeting and Technical Meeting was held on Friday 14th September, in London. You can download the minutes here.
There were a few changes to the board.
- Mike Shaw, President, has stepped down from his role as President but will stay on the board as Immediate Past President.
- Andrew Rowe as Vice President has become President of SPACES (and in the short term will carry on with his role as Finance Director).
- Jackie Lowe has agreed to become Vice President but will also continue with the role of Scrutiny Director
- Martin Kent has stepped down from being a director on the board.
- As previously advised, Mukund Patel and Leslie Morrison are no longer directors.
- Paul Inch, Innovare has been co-opted for the role of Marketing until the next AGM.
Greg Keeling will stay as Events Director and Mark Dunne will stay as Technical Director. James Bourne, Shaun Lunn and Deanne Jupp will carry on with their roles of Head of Profession of Engineering, Surveying and Project Management respectively. Nick Jakes and Helen Newman will carry on with their roles of Hub Coordinators Midlands and the Southwest respectively.
If you are interested in becoming involved with SPACES, then please do not hesitate to contact me or Andrew.
You can download copies of the technical presentations
- Soft Landings for Public Sector – why we need it and how to do it – Mike Chater, Hants CC
- SEN School Design – what’s working and what’s not – Mark Pratt, MACE
- New version of BB101 – “Guidelines on Ventilation, thermal comfort, and indoor air quality for school Buildings” (BB101 launched at the end of August) – Richard Daniels, Dept for Education
Awards and President’s Dinner
The SPACES Annual Awards Ceremony 2018 which also incorporates the 16th Civic Building of the Year Awards, sponsored by Thorlux Lighting, was held on Thursday 11th October at the Hilton City Centre Cambridge.
The winner of the Civic Building of the Year was Dunfermline Carnegie Library & Galleries, Client Fife Cultural Trust, Application Fife Council. Other winners are:
Collaboration sponsored by Saint Gobain Ecophon & Innovaré Systems Limited
- Winner – Kensington Aldridge Academy, Client Education & Skills Funding Agency, Application by Mace
- Winner – The Arium, Client Leeds City Council, Application by NPS Group
- Runner up – Portsmouth Hard Interchange, Client Portsmouth City Council, Application by Faithful+Gould
- Highly Commended – Temple Green Park & Ride, Client Leeds City Council, Application by NPS Group
- Highly Commended – Live Works, Client Live Theatre, Application Flanagan Lawrence
- Highly Commended – The Lighthouse, Poole, Client Lighthouse, Application by Design Engine
- Highly Commended – Revitalise Peckham Rye & Common Project, Client London Borough of Southwark, Application Faithful+Gould
Education sponsored by Willmott Dixon
- Winner – Cathedral Primary School, Client/Application Education & Skills Funding Agency,
- Highly Commended – East London Arts and Music (ELAM), Client/Application Education & Skills Funding Agency,
- Commended Guildhall Feoffment Community Primary School, Client Suffolk County Council, Application Concertus Design and Property Consultants.
- Winner – Dunfermline Carnegie Library and Galleries, Client Fife Cultural Trust, Application Fife Council
- Highly Commended – Kilmardinny House, Client East Dunbartonshire Council, Application Clark Contracts Ltd
- Winner – AK Connect BMS System Prototype, Bere Regis Primary School, Client/Application Dorset County Council
- Runner up – The NEDO project, Client Wigan Council, Application NPS Group
- Winner – Declan Doherty, Employer Farrans (ELAM Project)
- Runner up – Trevor Anderson, Employer Kier Construction (Cathedral Primary School Project)
- Winner – Kirkmichael, Black Isle, Client The Kirkmichael Trust, Application McGregor Bowes
- Runner up – Finishing Tower Adaptations, Client/Application North Lanarkshire Council
- Winner – Sensor City, Client University of Liverpool, Application IBI Group
- Commended – Advanced Engineering Centre, Bridgwater College, Client Bridgewater College, Application by Atkins Ltd
- Commended – Future Skills Centre, Client/Application Hampshire County Council
- Winner – Gemma Taylor, Employer Atkins
- Runner up – Laura Morris De’ath, Employer Concertus
- Runner up – Joshua Sandbach, Employer Pick Everard
Further information (including photos) can be found here. All members and applicants should have received a yearbook, please let me know if you have yet to receive. An electronic copy will be available on our website shortly.
The majority of SPACES member’s membership is up for renewal. The rates are:
|Membership Type||Cost (exc VAT)|
|Organisation membership (for 1 nominated person)||£99.00|
|Organisation membership (for up to 3 nominated people)1||£150.00|
|Organisation membership (for up to 6 nominated people)1||£200.00|
|Additional Nominated people (in addition to 6 nominated people)1||£15.00 – £17.00|
|Organisation membership (multiple offices) up to 3 nominated people in 4 offices||£450.00|
|Corporate (unlimited number of members)5||£3,000|
- This is for members in the same office
- These rates are subject to an additional delegate’s fee for meetings
- This rate is only available on request to the SPACES Manager
- Honorary Membership will continue for existing Honorary Members of all societies.
- Please contact us for more information.
If you wish to pay via BACs or cheque and require an invoice to be emailed to you the majority of accounts departments require a Purchase Order number on the invoice, so please make sure that you include the purchase order number or confirmation that one is not required, otherwise we will be unable to process your request.
Upcoming SPACES Meetings
Topics to include
- Vince Jubb, EFA is giving an update on their Condition Survey programme,
- Richard Daniels, EFA will be giving a presentation on the soon to be launched BB101 – ventilation, and
- PAGABO will be presenting on their Framework and some of the innovation therein.
To include a presentation from the winner of the Engineering Innovation Category – AK Connect BMS System Prototype, Bere Regis Primary School by Steve Rufus, Dorset County Council. Followed by networking and lunch.
If any members wishes to give a presentation on their work, then please do not hesitate to contact Fiona who can put you in touch with the right person.
You can find up to date news on SPACES and its events at the following locations:
ACA Meetings and news
|Information on ACA events can be found on the website or email , please email Shona Broughton.|
Fiona will be away from the office from Friday 19th to Wednesday 24th October, Friday 26th October, and Monday 5th to Monday 19th November 2018. At other times, office ours are typically Monday Morning, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons and Fridays.