AGM and Future of SPACES
The Annual General Meeting and Technical Presentation, will be held on Friday 14th September 2018 at Atkins Offices, Euston Tower, 286 Euston Road, London, NW1 3AT. You can download copies of the papers for the meeting from the website.
As per the by-laws the majority of positions on Board are still part way through their period of office, but the following positions are available.
- Scrutiny Director – Jackie Lowe (was co-opted onto the board following Mukund Patel’s resignation) has agreed to stand
- Marketing and Communication Director.
- Membership Director (North) Leslie Morrison is resigning at the AGM.
We thank both Leslie and Mukund for their work for SCALA, SCEME and SPACES.
It is not too late to be involved, if you are interested, please contact Fiona.
We are always keen to hear from those that wish to join the Directors (hub coordinators, heads of profession, etc) and if this is of interest, please contact us. We need a range of volunteers for example:
- members who can spare just three to four hours a year to support an event,
- members who could host a regional meeting once a year,
- members who would be prepared to organise a speaker for a regional/national event
- members who could visit a shortlisted project for civic building of the year.
If you wish to attend the meeting, please book your place on the website.
President’s Dinner and Awards
Tickets are going fast for the SPACES President’s Dinner and Annual Awards which will be held on Thursday 11th October 2018 at the Hilton Cambridge City Centre, 20 Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3DT.
The evening commences at 6.45pm with a pre-dinner drinks reception, and the dinner is at 7.30pm. The dress code is formal (optional).
During the evening there will be a raffle in support of the President’s Charity.
Non Members £100+VAT
Table (8) £750+VAT
To book your tickets please see the event page on our website (tickets will be available from the 16th April 2018).
Hotel accommodation is flexible. A special rate of 10% off the published price at the Hilton Cambridge City Centre, and rooms can be booked from our website.
Young Visionary Award – shortlist
Our congratulations go to the shortlist for this year’s Young Visionary Award:
- Gemma Taylor, Building Physics & Services Engineer, Atkins
- Joshua Sandbach, Senior Project Manager, Pick Everard
- Laura Morris De’ath, Senior Architectural Designer, Concertus
Thank you to all those that nominated or were nominated for the SPACES Young Visionary Award. There were many talented rising stars brought to our attention this year and the competition was therefore very tough.
The Award will be presented at our Annual President’s Dinner and Awards Ceremony being held in Cambridge on the 11th October.
Yearbook and Civic Building of the Year Awards 2018
The shortlist for the Civic Building of the Year Awards 2018 has been announced. For a complete list including those that have been shortlisted for the yearbook, please our see website.
The yearbook goes to every local authority in the country. With prices from £500(+VAT) for a quarter page advert, if your company is interested in advertising, please contact SPACES Awards.
Upcoming SPACES Meetings
Prior to the AGM there will be a technical meeting with the following presentations:
- New BB101 Launch (Richard Daniels, ESFA),
- Soft Landings (Michael Chater, Hampshire County Council), and
- SEN Schools (Mark Pratt, MACE).
NB this is a members event only. You can download papers and book your place (or send your apologies) on our website.
Topics to include
- Vince Jubb, EFA is giving an update on their Condition Survey programme,
- Richard Daniels, EFA will be giving a presentation on the soon to be launched BB101 – ventilation, and
- PAGABO will be presenting on their Framework and some of the innovation therein.
18th September – 6:00 pm to 8.30 pm, Chelmsford
ACES Conference 2018 – Income Generation and Revenue Reduction in the Public Sector
20 September – 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Cambridge.
The Association of Chief Estates Surveyors and Property Managers in the Public Sector, ACES, are holding their national conference in Cambridge on the topic of Income Generation and Revenue Reduction in the Public Sector. For more information, please see their website.
ACA Conference 2018 – collaborating for value
5th October 2018 – 8:00am to 5:00pm, Greenwich
The Association of Consultant Architects are having a conference featuring the new FAC-1 Framework Alliance Contract and the TAC-1 Term Alliance Contract both already delivering impressive results. FAC-1 is the only standard form framework alliance contract available in the market and its flexibility means it can be used with any contract form across all sectors.
Fees are a very reasonable £95 per delegate for the day.
For further information and to book, please see the ACA website.
(NB these are not a SPACES organised events).
You can find up to date news on SPACES and its events at the following locations:
Website – https://thespaces.org.uk/news/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/spacesnetwork
BB101 Ventilation, thermal comfort and indoor air quality 2018 Launched
BB101 is on the government website.
Don’t forget that Richard is presenting at the Technical Meeting on the 14th September – see above.
Study Day 2018 – Collaboration, Manchester
You can still download copies of The SPACES Study Day held on Friday 15th June 2018 from our website.