Young Visionary Award – open for nominations
Nominations can now be made for the Young Visionary Award 2018.
This is your chance to celebrate the good work being carried out by younger construction professionals (aged 18-30) within the public sector built environment for both those working in or for the public sector. Closing Date for Submissions Friday 6th July 2018.
For more information and to enter see our website.
The Award will be presented at our Annual President’s Dinner and Awards Ceremony being held in Cambridge on the 11th October.
Study Day 2018 – Collaboration, Manchester
The Theme was ‘Collaboration in the Public Sector’. Throughout the day we explored the relevance and importance of ‘Collaborative Working’ and how it enables all parties involved on a project to efficiently and effectively deliver client outcomes, including value for money.
With other main stage presentations from:
- Cabinet Office Alex Lubbock, Head of Digital Construction, Infrastructure and Projects Authority (IPA) on Collaboration and Infrastructure.
- Bryden Wood Jaimie Johnston, Director and Head of Global Systems on How R&D impacts through platforms across building types
A debate on Learning from Schools – Why building performance matters, was hosted by the CIBSE School Design Group, led by Ann Bodkin, Head of Design Intelligence, Education and Skills Funding Agency, with a panel including Helen Taylor Director of Practice Scott Brownrigg and RIBA Council, Joe Jack Williams, Researcher, Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and CIBSE School Design Group, Sarah Morris, Interim Director, Property, Commissioning, Communities and Policy, Derbyshire County Council and former President of SCALA and SPACES.
The day was interspersed by workshops:
- Microsoft Teamwork with Microsoft 365, Levente Nagy, Product Marketing Manager for Microsoft 365 Customer Success,
- Haverstock Designing for the Police: collaborative working and PFI, Claire Barton, Partner and Kate McGechan, Senior Architect
- BSI BS11000 – The Collaboration British Standard, Kieran Parkinson
- Faithful+Gould Collaboration of Conservation Buildings, Richard Stocking, Regional Director, Head of Conservation & Heritage
- Faulkner Brown The Word, a case study in collaborative design (winner of last year’s Civic Building of the Year), Steve McIntyre, Partner
- MACE The Grenfell replacement school replaced in nine weeks, James Mangat, Project Manager
- IES UUpdates on policy and building performance codes; Part L, BB101, BREEAM and more, Dr. Naghman Khan, Business Development Manager
- Atkins, member of the SNC-Lavalin Group Discussion around modular construction, James Bourne, Operations Director
- Rock Townsend Holy Trinity School and Residential project – innovative learning and living solution for the 21st Century city, Mark Gabbey, Partner
- Pick Everard Objective Collaboration – Alliancing Gary Buick, Director and Andrew Almond, Partner,
- Willmott Dixon Manchester University Collaboration Project – A dissection of the approach and relationships between the Client, Design Team and Contractor, Simon Atkinson and Phil Young.
You can find up to date news on SPACES and its events at the following locations:
Website – https://thespaces.org.uk/news/
LinkedIn – SPACES
Twitter – https://twitter.com/spacesnetwork
Yearbook and Civic Building of the Year Awards 2018
The shortlist for the Civic Building of the Year Awards 2018 has been announced. For a complete list including those that have been shortlisted for the yearbook, please our see website.
The yearbook goes to every local authority in the country. With prices from £500(+VAT) for a quarter page advert, if your company is interested in advertising, please contact SPACES Awards.
President’s Dinner and Awards
The SPACES President’s Dinner and Annual Awards will be held on Thursday 11th October 2018 at the Hilton Cambridge City Centre, 20 Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3DT.
The evening commences at 6.45pm with a pre-dinner drinks reception, and the dinner is at 7.30pm. The dress code is formal (optional).
During the evening there will be a raffle in support of the President’s Charity.
Non Members £100+VAT
Table (8) £750+VAT
To book your tickets please see the event page on our website (tickets will be available from the 16th April 2018).
Hotel accommodation is flexible. A special rate of 10% off the published price at the Hilton Cambridge City Centre, and rooms can be booked from our website.
Upcoming SPACES Meetings
AGM and Technical Meeting – Friday 14th September, London
Midlands Hub Meeting – Friday 2nd November, Birmingham. Topics to include Vince Jubb from the ESFA is joining giving an update on their Condition Survey programme, a presentation on the soon to be launched BB101, and PAGABO will be presenting on their Framework and some of the innovation therein. If you are interested in attending, please email Nick Jakes.
The policies, processes and documents that schools, academies and multi-academy trusts should consider when managing their estates.
Managing your school estate well helps you to make the most of your resources.
The review’s final report which was commissioned by government following the Grenfell Tower fire to make recommendations on the future regulatory system.
Typically someone will be available in the office Monday and Friday mornings and Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons. There will not be anyone available Wednesday 11th to Tuesday 24th July.