Year of Net Zero Carbon and the Climate Emergency
Our Theme for the Year
Nearly 75% of District, County, Unitary & Metropolitan Councils plus eight Combined Authorities/City Regions have declared a Climate Emergency to date. So all those working within and for the public sector are seriously considering how their organisation can reduce its impact on the environment whilst working within restrictive financial times.
Our chosen theme for SPACES over the coming year will be Net Zero Carbon and the Climate Emergency, and looks to support our members by organising webinars and technical meetings to cover various aspects and challenges on the topic to assist in project delivery.
As a collaborative organisation, encapsulating all the professions of the Built Environment, we are focussing on how we can work together to meet the UK target to bring all greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050. The emphasis will be on real experiences, lessons learned and the need to work collaboratively to deliver workable solutions to reduce our carbon emissions.
We will be launching our theme on Wednesday 28th April at 2:00pm with a Roundtable Discussion on:
- How do we decide what to “green” and what to “offset” and is there an acceptable ratio?
- What is our ethical responsibility to green assets we no longer need?
For more information and to book a place at this free event, please see below or here.
We are very pleased to welcome:
- Marina Robertson, Senior Director, NPS Group
- Patrick Begg, Outdoors and Natural Resources Director, National Trust
- Dr Shaun Fitzgerald, Director, Centre for Climate Repair at Cambridge University
- Sheryl French, Programme Director for Climate Change and Energy Investment, Cambridgeshire County Council
If you are not a member and would like to attend if possible please register for membership first (SPACES membership is free for those in the public sector) on our website before you book your ticket here. NB Only SPACES members are sent links to any video recordings.
TO ATTEND THIS EVENT YOU MUST REGISTER HERE!
By registering you will receive your own personal invite and link to the event.
To find out more about SPACES membership please see our website.
Between Monday 7th June and Friday 18th June, we are holding a Virtual Conference with experts from client side, design, construction, academia & the public sector will be discussing Zero Carbon, the Climate Emergency and why we must act now!
There will be the variety of our previous annual Study Days on a wide range of subjects including:
- The Latest Technologies
- Regulations and Standards
- Insights Into Sectors – Schools, Houses, Offices
- Design Tools
With confirmed presenters including:
- Alan Jones – President, RIBA
- Alasdair Donn – Head of Building Performance Group Sustainability, Willmott Dixon
- Dr Hywel Davies – Technical Director, CIBSE
- Dr Joe Jack Williams – Associate Researcher, Feilden Clegg Bradley
- Dr Jolanta Obszynska – Leicester City Council
- Dr Laura Mansel Thomas – Ingleton Wood LLP
- Michael Cross – Head of Partnerships and Innovation Group Sustainability, Willmott Dixon
- Dr Roderic Bunn – Building Performance Analyst, Soft Landings consultant
- Sadaf Askari – IES
- Samantha Kennedy – Director Environment & Climate Action, Essex County Council
- Dr Shaun Fitzgerald – Director, Centre for Climate Repair at Cambridge University
- Stephen Hodder MBE – Chairman at Hodder + Partners, Chairman Construction Industry Council, Professor Manchester School of Architecture
You can book your tickets here and then you will be sent information on how to book the webinars.
Free for SPACES* members, Sponsors and undergraduate students (who register with their university email address) and for Non members £150+VAT per person for a two week pass. For more information on SPACES membership see our website.
*SPACES membership is FREE for Public Sector Employees.
For more information and to book your ticket, please see here.