SPACES Study Day 2019 – Education, Thursday 20th June at De Montfort University, Leicester (Hotel Accommodation will be released on 22nd May 2019)
We have two speakers for the day
Our Keynote will be David Laws Executive Chairman of the Education Policy Institute and former Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Schools Minister, and Cabinet Office Minister.
Twice on the main stage we will have Professor Stephen Heppell CEO Heppell.net Limited and Felipe Segovia Chair in Learning Innovation at Universidad Camilo José Cela, Madrid. He is described by MacMillan Education as a “renowned expert in education, media, technology and learning environments and by Microsoft as “Europe’s leading online education expert”.
The Study Day is very much a ‘nuts-and-bolts, hands-on’ event with the emphasis on real experiences and lessons learned, so the day is interspersed with workshops and case studies on the following topics:
- Climate-Based Daylight Modelling: Blue-Skies Research to Real-World Application John Mardaljevic, Professor of Building Daylight Modelling, School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering, Loughborough University
- Digital Twin technology – example use cases – improvement of school operational performance, portfolio energy/BMS data management and creating a university campus Living Lab Eric Roberts, Business Development Manager, ICL
- Special Educational Needs Design Workshop Mark Pratt, Strategic SEN Design Advisor DfE
Using the DfE’s Building Bulletins 103 and 104 to Make Best Use of the Existing School Estate Alex Wakefield, Regional Director, Faithful+Gould and Rob Tozer, Managing Director, 1st Planner
- Working with Local Authorities in the development of School Programmes Dr Jose Hernandez, Director Sustainability and Energy, Pick Everard
- Development of user friendly BMS Interface for Primary Schools. Winner of the Innovation Award at the SPACES Awards 2018 Steve Rufus, Service Manager for Engineering Services, Dorset Council.
- DfE Output Specification (OS) for School Buildings & Grounds Jennifer Coldrick, Architect/ Design Advisor DfE
- Fire Safety Design in Education Premises David Thompson, Fire Safety Engineer, Atkins
- Wellbeing in Education Environments Velux
- Climate Change Adaptation Hershil Patel, Head of Energy, DfE and Richard Daniels, Environmental Engineer DfE
- Innovative Learning Spaces & Teacher Change (ILETC)’ Research from AUS & NZ + Pencoed School, Wales Shane Cryer, Concept Developer – Education, Saint-Gobain Ecophon
- Learning from schools – knowledge share Ann Bodkin, Head of Design Intelligence DfE
- TBC Willmott Dixon
(SPACES holds no responsibility for changes to the workshop programme).
You can download a copy of the draft programme and additional information (as of 21st May) on the presenters and presentations. Once you have booked your place at the Study Day, you can choose your options on the spreadsheet and return (deadline: Wednesday 12th June).
In the afternoon of Wednesday 19th June there will be visits to local buildings.
1:45pm visit to George Davies Building, University of Leicester. Designed to minimise environmental impact while providing a pleasant space in which to teach, learn and work, the George Davies Centre is the largest non-residential building in the UK to meet the exacting ‘Passivhaus’ standard.
In the evening there will be informal dinner and drinks at Wygstons House where there will be an opportunity to network with those staying the night before. The evening is being sponsored by Concertus.
You can find information on Travel and Accommodation here. NB Hotel Accommodation will be released on 22nd May 2019.
There are still opportunities to exhibit so if your company is interested please see the attached.
You can book your tickets here. We are expecting a high demand, as the topic of education has proved very popular in the past. Please book/reserve your tickets on the website (and so to avoid disappointment book now).
Study Day (20th June 2019 @8.30am to 4.30pm)
- Central or Local Government (ie with a ‘.gov.uk suffix’ email address) – £75 (exc VAT)
- Members (paid) – £100 (exc VAT)
- Non-members – £150 (exc VAT)
- Retired – £50 (exc VAT)
Building visit (19th June 2019 @2.00pm) foc
Dinner and Networking Event (19th June 2019 @7.30pm)
- Central or Local Government (ie with a ‘.gov.uk suffix’ email address) – £25 (exc VAT)
- Members (paid) – £30 (exc VAT)
- Non-members – £35 (exc VAT)
Information on last year’s study day can be found here.